No experience needed!
An important part of this course are the seven online tutor support sessions. During the online support sessions you will ask questions and we will discuss sewing related topics. There is also a private Facebook page for this group.
If you love fabrics and textiles now is the time to add sewing to your skills set. I have spent years working in the clothing industry and teaching associated skills. Join me and be part of a culture of creating treasured items that don’t end up in landfill. I will take you through the process of setting yourself up for a successful start to your new hobby or possibly career! This class is perfect for beginners who want to create with a conscience.
This course includes:
1, An introduction to:
• equipment and setting up your sewing space and understanding your machine
• understanding fabrics and (of utmost importance), sustainability!
• seams, seam finishes and more
- Component sewing:
• experiment with making patch pocket patterns
• tips and tricks on how to sew your patch pocket
- Sew a simple garment; market or hobby apron:
This project will use skills learnt in the previous lessons with an introduction to new concepts
- Learn more about different sewing needles, threads, and ways to join fabrics:
• start to learn the vast choice of options available to you according to the project you are working on
- More about fabrics.
Here we will build on what you learnt in the beginners course. Fabrics are where your design ideas begin and is a specialist field of its own.
- Component sewing – closures:
• two types of zips
• a basic buttonhole
- Make a cushion cover. Designer cushions are expensive, it’s time to make your own! Here we will explore:
Elements and principles of design
Using recycled fabric
Using skills you have learnt to create a simple product for the home
Also included in the course:
• a private Facebook group where we can share ideas, talk about what we are learning, ask questions and post short videos relating to our sewing
• a comments/questions section at the end of each lesson
• seven zoom sessions where we can talk as a group from our sewing rooms
• printable handouts and sewing instructions included
I believe there is great value in having the chance to talk to each other about your sewing journey and ask questions within a small group environment.
Work through the course in your own time, with ongoing access to the videos after the zoom sessions finish.